On Tuesday, the fourth internal journalism conference LEAD took place - for the first time in a purely virtual setting. Around 160 editorial colleagues from Tamedia and 20 minutes from German-speaking and French-speaking Switzerland accepted the invitation. Among the speakers at the conference were Lotta Edling, Editorial Director at Bonnier News in Sweden, Martin Kotynek, Editor-in-Chief of the Standard, Ben Smith, media columnist for the New York Times or Sandra Cortesi, Director of Youth & Media at Harvard University's Berkman Klein Center. The subscription awards were also presented for the first time at this year's LEAD conference.
In the "Conversion Stars" category, awards were given to the articles from Tamedia news platforms and the Tamedia editorial team that led to the most new subscription registrations. The prizes in the "Subscriber Stars" category went to those stories with the highest usage time. The measurement period was from mid-April 2020 to mid-April 2021, with awards going to the article "Berner Studie zu Corona-Massnahmen: Lockdown a week later would have claimed over 6000 more victims" by Oliver Zihlmann, Christian Brönnimann, Roland Gamp and Sven Cornehls, published on 27 June 2020, and "Millions cachés à Genève: Le banquier romand qui protégeait les secrets de Juan Carlos" by Sylvain Besson and Caroline Zumbach, published on 20 December 2020.
A special prize was awarded to the Corona Dashboard, which shows the current figures on Covid-19 on the Tamedia news platforms on a daily basis and received widespread international attention, as well as the Magglingen Protocols. The research into the abuses at the Magglingen sports centre, which appeared in the magazine and Le Matin Dimanche, caused high waves and was the most successful Tamedia article in 2020.
"Reporting on Corona in all its facets was the focus of the work of Tamedia's editorial teams last year, and this is also reflected in the subscription awards," explains Christoph Zimmer, Chief Product Officer of Tamedia. "The list of award-winning articles reads like a review of this extraordinary year, always accompanied by the current Corona figures. In addition, we succeeded again and again in convincing readers with other research and with stories from real life. Tamedia honors these outstanding achievements with the Subscription Awards."
The winners per category
- Bern study on Corona measures: Lockdown a week later would have caused over 6000 more victims: Oliver Zihlmann, Christian Brönnimann, Roland Gamp, Sven Cornehls / Editors Tamedia German-speaking Switzerland
- Vegetarian in the confines: feasting among digital nomadsBeat Metzler, Marcel Reuss / Tages-Anzeiger
- Infectiologist on Switzerland strategy: "The coronavirus appears to be less dangerous than commonly assumed".: Mischa Aebi, Adrian Schmid / SonntagsZeitung
- Virus mutation in the canton of Berne: the British Corona variant has already spread widely in Berne: Marius Aschwanden / Bernese newspaper, Langenthaler Tagblatt, Bernese Oberlander, Thuner Tagblatt
- Ursula Wyss steps down: Spurned love: Naomi Jones / The Covenant
- Incorrigible shoppers: What Swiss shopping tourists face in Germany: Simon Bordier / Basel newspaper
- Vaccination in Winterthur: Winterthur is looking for hundreds of employees for the vaccination centre: Thomas Münzel / Der Landbote, Zürcher Unterländer, Zürichsee-Zeitung
- Placement potentiel sur la liste rouge: Que faire si vous avez prévu de vous rendre en France?: Gabriel Sassoon / Editors Tamedia Western Switzerland
- Millions cachés à Genève: Le banquier romand qui protégeait les secrets de Juan CarlosSylvain Besson, Caroline Zumbach / Le Matin Dimanche
- Drama aux Rochers-de-Naye: "J'étais à 1 mètre de lui lorsque l'avalanche est partie": Stéphanie Arboit / 24 heures
- Attestation or not? Nos réponses: Ce qu'il vous faut savoir avant de vous rendre en France: Luca di Stefano / Tribune de Genève
- Federal Council tightens Corona regime: what the Corona rules mean for everyday life, leisure and the workplace: Markus Häfliger, Fabian Fellmann / Editors Tamedia German-speaking Switzerland
- Radical neo-Nazi cell: The Iron Youth from Winterthur and their dream of the apocalypse: Kevin Brühlmann, Kurt Pelda / Tages-Anzeiger
- Frustration in the search for a partner: "Single because the choice sucks".: Nadja Pastega / SonntagsZeitung
- Corona rebel on Youtube: The Velomech from the Gürbetal who became a conspirator: Johannes Reichen / Berner Zeitung, Langenthaler Tagblatt, Berner Oberländer, Thuner Tagblatt
- "Disturbingly" many unknowns: Where Bernese infect themselves with Sars-CoV-2: Noah Fend / The Covenant
- Efficient control: Grüner from Liestal showers wasps instead of killing them: Katrin Hauser / Basel newspaper
- Hospital scandal: Anger after dismissal of head physician in Bülach hospital: Sharon Saameli / Der Landbote, Zürcher Unterländer, Zürichsee-Zeitung
- Pandémie: Deuxième vague: le drame s'est joué au coeur de l'été: Sylvain Besson, Christian Brönnimann / Editors Tamedia Western Switzerland
- Darius Rochebin à LCI: La vérité sur l'affaire Darius: Christophe Passer / Le Matin Dimanche
- Violation des règles sanitaires à Lausanne: Le Great Escape sera puni pour sa "dernière fête": Joëlle Fabre / 24 heures
- Incidence du Covid-19: Comment Genève en est arrivé au record d'Europe: Marc Moulin / Tribune de Genève
- Corona Dashboard: Marc Brupbacher, Patrick Vögeli, Sebastian Broschinski, Mathias Lutz, Andreas Moor, Duc-Quang Nguyen, Mathieu Rudaz / Tamedia News Platforms
Magglingen Protocols: Christof Gertsch, Mikael Krogerus / The Magazine and Jean-Claude Schertenleib, Christian Despont / Le Matin Dimanche